We say, “I just want to be myself.” What do we mean by that? Which self are we talking about? The one who was laughing with someone yesterday, or the one who doesn't want to speak to anyone today? The one who says he doesn't care what people think, or the one who keeps checking whether someone has replied? We want to be ourselves, but before making this into another goal, another thing to struggle for, shouldn't we find out what we are asking for?
We say these things so easily. Be yourself. Find yourself. Know who you really
are. As if somewhere inside you there is a person who has been sitting quietly,
waiting for you to discover him. The world covered him with expectations, your
parents covered him with their ambitions, your relationships covered him with
hurts, and now your job is to remove all of this and bring the original person
out. It is a comforting idea. There is something real underneath, something
untouched, and whatever happens on the surface, at least that thing is still
yours. But have you actually found such a thing, or do you only hope it is
there?
Look at what you call yourself. Don't go into some spiritual explanation yet.
Look at the ordinary things. The way you speak, the things that embarrass you,
what you consider success, the kind of person you want to be loved by. Where
did all this come from? You heard something, experienced something, were
appreciated for something, were made to feel small for something. Someone
stayed with you and someone left. You picked things up without even noticing,
and now you look at the whole collection and say, this is me.
I am not saying those things are unreal. Your hurt is there. Your preferences
are there. Your particular way of laughing is there. But where is the separate
owner of all this? You point to the collection and then speak as if there is
someone behind the collection who possesses it. Where is he? Whenever you try
to show him, you show another memory, another preference, another feeling about
yourself. You have shown more of what is happening. You haven't shown someone
standing apart from it.
Someone says something unpleasant to you, and your whole mood changes. A moment
earlier you were generous, open, ready to listen. Now you are defending
yourself, remembering everything wrong with that person, preparing what to say
back. Which one was your real self? You may say the generous one was real and
the angry one was only a reaction. But why? Because you like one more? Because
one fits the image you want to have? Your approval of a part of yourself
doesn't make that part more real than the rest.
This is what we keep doing. We select the qualities we are comfortable owning
and call them our nature. The other things become disturbances, exceptions,
things that aren't really us. “I wasn't myself when I said that.” Maybe you
were frightened. Maybe you were exhausted. That matters. But the words still
came from you, from your condition in that moment. There wasn't some false person
who entered your body while the real one went outside. We divide ourselves this
way because we want an identity we can respect, even when what we actually do
is difficult to look at.
And sometimes we do the opposite. We hold on to the worst description. Someone
has called you selfish, difficult, weak, and after a while you carry it around
yourself. Now even when something different happens, you don't let it count.
You were kind, but you say it was for a selfish reason. You spoke honestly, but
you say you were only pretending to be brave. A fixed image doesn't have to be
pleasant to feel necessary. Even a painful answer can seem safer than not
knowing what you are.
See how much importance we give to being able to say, “This is the kind of
person I am.” We want the sentence to settle something. Then life brings a
situation in which the sentence doesn't work, and instead of looking at the
situation, we feel threatened. I thought I was patient. I thought I had moved
on. I thought I was someone who could be alone. We are troubled by what
happened, yes, but also by the fact that what happened has spoiled our
description of ourselves.
You are quiet around some people and talk endlessly around others. With someone
you feel no need to impress, words come easily. With someone whose approval you
want, even saying a simple thing becomes a small performance. You go home and
ask, why couldn't I be myself there? But both situations tell you something.
Your ease tells you something, and so does your fear. Why must one be you and
the other not you? Can't you look at the fear without first pushing it outside
your identity?
Of course there is pretending. You laugh when you don't find something funny.
You agree because you are afraid of being disliked. You act interested while
wishing you could leave. There is a difference between what you feel and what
you show, and it can be tiring to live like that. But to notice this doesn't
require the discovery of an eternal, original you. It requires honesty about
what is happening. “I don't agree, but I want this person to like me.” That is
already much closer to the fact than “I have lost my true self.”
The fact may be quite ordinary and uncomfortable. The story of the lost self is
more attractive. It gives you a journey. You can go somewhere, read something,
become someone who is working on himself. Meanwhile, the simple thing remains
untouched: you are afraid to disappoint this person. You want approval. Can
that be looked at without immediately turning it into a project of becoming
fearless?
Even your rebellion deserves a little attention. You say you are finished
living according to others. Now you will do the opposite of what they wanted.
But if everything you do is still a reply to them, in what sense have you
stopped being directed by them? Their approval used to guide you. Now their
disapproval guides you. I am not saying don't leave, don't refuse, don't change
your life. Those things may be necessary. I am asking whether opposition, by
itself, is the discovery of something independent.
Then you may say, “Fine, I will spend time alone. When nobody is around, I will
know who I am.” Spend time alone, certainly. But notice that the people don't
completely leave when the room becomes empty. You are still explaining yourself
to someone in your head. You are remembering an insult, imagining a future
conversation, judging what you did through eyes that aren't physically there.
Even the language in which you ask who you are came to you through others.
Closing the door doesn't take you outside everything that has shaped you.
And why should being shaped make you false? This is another assumption we
hardly question. If a friend introduced you to something and you came to love
it, is your love less real? If someone treated you gently and you became a
little less afraid, is that openness fake because it came through a
relationship? We want to remove every influence to find what is purely our own.
But perhaps there is no person left over after every relationship with life has
been removed. Perhaps we have mistaken dependence on life for a kind of
contamination.
You didn't first exist as a complete person and then begin having experiences.
The experiencing, the learning, the being hurt, the responding, all of this is
involved in what you call a person. There isn't a finished you underneath,
receiving additions. What you are is taking shape in the very living of it. And
this taking shape has not stopped just because you have found a few words that
seem to describe you well.
Think of the person you say you used to be. You may miss how easily you
trusted, how freely you spoke, how little you questioned whether you were
enough. There can be real sadness in that. But even then, you were not a final
thing. You were living under different circumstances, with different fears,
with things you hadn't yet encountered. To return to that person would mean
returning to a whole life that is no longer here. You cannot pull one version
of yourself out of the past and make the present arrange itself around him.
Also, who is remembering that person now? It is you as you are now, with your
present loneliness, your present disappointments, selecting what you miss.
Perhaps you remember the ease and forget the confusion. Perhaps you remember
being loved and forget how anxious you were about losing it. The past you want
to return to is partly the past and partly what your present pain needs it to
be. This doesn't make your memories worthless. It means they cannot give you an
untouched original to recover.
“But I am still the same person,” you say. Yes, in the ordinary sense. You
remember what you did. People recognize you. There are habits and attachments
that continue. Nobody is asking you to forget your name or pretend your history
belongs to someone else. But continuity is not the same thing as a fixed
center. A conversation can continue while everything being said changes. Its
continuation doesn't require a secret sentence that remains hidden beneath all
the others.
You are a process. But please don't make the word sound grand. It means this
ordinary movement of being affected and responding, carrying something forward,
forgetting something, discovering that what mattered so much no longer matters
in the same way. Sometimes the movement is so repetitive that it feels
completely still. You meet a new person and bring the same fear. You enter a
new situation and expect the same rejection. The repetition is real. But a
pattern repeating is not proof of an unchanging person inside it. It may only
mean that the conditions which keep the pattern going are still there.
And this is where “being yourself” can become an excuse. “This is just how I
am. Take me as I am.” What do you mean? Do you mean, see what is actually here,
without demanding that I fit your imagination? Or do you mean, don't question
what I do, because I have decided it is permanent? Those are very different
things. Accepting that you are angry now doesn't mean declaring anger your
lifelong nature. Seeing a fact doesn't require you to promise that the fact will
never change.
If you hurt someone, “I am a process” doesn't make the hurt disappear. You
still have to hear what they are saying. You may have to apologize, repair
something, change how you behave. There is no need for an eternal self in order
for actions to have consequences. In fact, the insistence that “I am not that
kind of person” can prevent you from taking responsibility. You become so
occupied with defending who you are that you barely listen to what you have
done.
But we like the idea of a center because it promises more than a description.
It promises somewhere safe. People may misunderstand me, my relationships may
end, my plans may fail, but deep down I will still know who I am. You want a
place life cannot disturb. It is understandable, this wanting. Still, wanting
such a place doesn't bring it into existence. Are you looking at yourself, or
are you asking yourself to provide the permanence you cannot find anywhere
else?
When everything else changes, we say there must at least be a witness who
doesn't change. The one who has watched it all. But look carefully at what you
are calling the witness. Is it something you have actually found, or is it the
feeling of stepping back from a thought, followed by another thought saying,
“This is the real me”? There can be quietness. There can be attention without
so much commentary. Why must we immediately put an owner inside that quietness?
Why must whatever happens become an answer to who we are?
I am not asking you to deny your experience. If there is a feeling of being
here, there is a feeling of being here. But does that feeling tell you there is
a permanent person behind it? Or have you added that explanation? We take
something intimate, something difficult to put into words, and use that
difficulty as evidence of a hidden essence. Then the search begins again, only
now the thing we are searching for has become too special to question.
There is no center to uncover. By that I don't mean you are empty in the sense
of being worthless, or that nobody exists and nothing matters. I mean there
isn't a final little person sitting behind your life, separate from its
movement, who will explain all of it once you reach him. Whatever you find is
another part of living. A fear you hadn't noticed. A desire you were ashamed
of. Some tenderness. A memory that suddenly makes sense differently. These
things can matter enormously without being the last layer of you.
And understanding them can be useful. I am not saying that because there is no
final self, you cannot learn anything about yourself. You can notice what you
do when you feel rejected. You can realize that you say yes when you want to
say no. You can understand a habit well enough that it no longer passes
unnoticed. But why turn a discovery into a conclusion? “This is what I have
been doing” leaves room to look. “This is what I am” so easily becomes the end
of looking.
We do this to other people too. We decide who they are, then keep meeting our
decision. Someone who has usually been strong comes to you frightened, and you
tell them this isn't like them (I did this a lot). Someone who has always
adjusted to you finally refuses, and you say they have changed. Maybe they
have. Maybe something was happening all along that your image didn't allow you
to see. Knowing someone cannot mean that they are no longer allowed to surprise
you.
Can you let a person be different from your knowledge of them? And can you
allow the same thing in yourself? Not by celebrating every change or pretending
everything that happens is good. Some changes are painful. Some need to be
challenged. But you cannot understand what is happening while insisting it
shouldn't be happening because it contradicts who someone really is. The living
person is here. Your description may be out of date.
Now, the usual response to all this is, “So if there is no fixed self to
discover, I must create myself.” We are in such a hurry to have a new job. The
search failed, so now we will build. We will choose an identity, become
intentional, design the person we want to be. There is nothing wrong with
learning a skill or changing a habit. But where did the image of this ideal
person come from? What makes you want that life rather than another? The one
who says he will create himself is also part of what has been shaped. He has
not stepped outside the process to direct it from somewhere untouched.
Even the desire to be completely fluid can become another demand. Now you must
never be attached, never repeat yourself, never be disturbed when things
change. You have made a fixed identity out of not having a fixed identity. And
when you catch yourself holding on to something, you feel you have failed
again. Dears, this is not a new standard to live up to. You don't have to
perform being a process. The attachment, the resistance, the wish to stay as
you are, these too are happening within it.
I can do the same thing with these words. I can write that there is no center
and then become very attached to being someone who understands this. I can
defend the idea, feel pleased when it is appreciated, feel irritated when
someone finds it foolish. Then what have I understood? I have given myself
another description and started protecting it. Writing about this doesn't place
me outside it. Even the wish to explain it may contain the wish to be seen in a
particular way.
So don't take “there is no self” and carry it around as the final truth about
yourself. That would settle the question verbally while leaving the whole
activity untouched. Notice something nearer. When you say, “I could never do
that,” what is speaking? Is it a clear understanding of the situation, or a
description you have repeated for so long that you no longer examine it? When
you say, “I need to get back to myself,” what exactly are you hoping to
recover? These questions don't need to end in a new identity.
Perhaps there is some honesty in saying, “This is how it is with me now,” and
leaving the now in the sentence. I am afraid now. I want this now. This matters
to me, and I don't know whether it always will. You aren't making a promise to
remain frightened, or interested, or hurt. You are also not pretending to be
beyond those things. You are allowing what is here to be seen without asking it
to define the whole of your existence.
You may never get the finished answer you wanted. There may always be something
in you that a new relationship, a loss, an ordinary conversation brings into
view. That doesn't mean you have failed to know yourself. It means knowing
cannot be finished while living continues. You can pay attention without
expecting attention to eventually produce someone who no longer needs to be
looked at.
And when you laugh without checking whether the laugh suits you, when you
listen and find your opinion changing before you have decided whether to permit
it, there is no problem of being yourself in that moment. The problem comes
afterward, when you ask which version was real and which one you must preserve.
You don't need to choose a version to keep. Something happened, and you were
involved in it. You are still involved. There is no completed person to bring
out at the end.
~ Proofread by GPT 6 Astra